My Fraxel experience

As many, I have been troubled by my gigantic facial pores which is a constant unpleasant reminder of my long term struggles against acne since as a teenager. While my acne is getting under better control now, living with enlarged pores is not any better to deal with. Even with makeup on, they dont look great.

In my quest of finding the right and effective treatment, Fraxel was offered to me as a trial one month ago. About one week since after then, I have received a good number of compliments on how my pores are shrunk and how youthful my skin turn to. Yes I absolutely love it!

So I had my 2nd treatment today. While the experience is still fresh, I'd like to write it down for those who are on the fence about doing Fraxel, you might wanna put all these into consideration.





As shown on the picture, I got the 1550nm wavelength, which is for treating enlarged pores and stubborn scars. According to the expert, this fractional laser works by producing thousands of microscopic laser columns that penetrate deep into the layers of skin that stimulate its own natural healing process. The body then produces collagen to replace the damaged skin. The results are more youthful, smoother and healthier appearing skin.

Is it painful?
Personally I have very good pain tolerance level. As being warned it is the 'very aggressive kind of laser' prior to Fraxel treatment, I took oral Codeine 30mg and Arcoxia 120mg, and used topical anesthetic cream all over my face as instructed by my dermatologist. At the beginning, it felt just a little tingling which can be ignored. I started feeling more and more as the roller repeated back onto same area(8 passes in total). And towards the end, the pain was like some hot iron rolling on my face, I was holding my breath each stroke and breathed in quickly inbetween every two strokes. With the distraction therapy kindly provided by the girls, I still teared, embarrassingly... But I survived it. Even requested for a higher setting on my 2nd treatment session :) The amazing result I had from my first session convinced myself the pain is worthwhile. 

What to expect after the treatment?
The pain was almost gone within 5 mins. What I saw in the mirror was a pinkish and swollen face, as shown in the picture above. Not a good look, and the bad news is.. not advisable to put makeup within 24 hours. 

It took 5 days for my skin to recover and looked like skin again, and almost 7 days for all the redness and swelling to disappear completely. 

Post treatment at home?
Here is my regime. Please use as what your dermatologist recommend.
Face wash: Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser
Moisturizer: Avene skin recovery cream
Sunblock: Heliocare ultra gel SPF 90

Avoid sunlight.
Avoid using any products that may cause irritation.
Avoid using abrasive exfoliating scrubs, toners or products contain glycolic acid, or retin A. 

Elevate head when sleeping, so swelling(edema) go off sooner.

Final result?
I was very happy how it brightens and evens up my skin tone, my pores are noticeably smaller in size and doesnot so deep as before the treatment! Generally my skin look so much younger. I will definitely be going for the 3rd session. :)

1 comment: